This question came up recently on Twitter so I thought it would be fun to see who hockey fans thought were the 10 best players of all-time. I got a lot of tweets, Facebook posts, emails, plus scribbled pieces of paper with a lot of different players listed. Some were constants.
My list consisted of players who excelled in a lot of different situations and yes hardware counted for me and so did rings but I looked at a lot of statistics. I took this list seriously -- Russ Cohen
My Top Ten
1) Wayne Gretzky - He knew where the puck was going to be next. He thought the game faster than his competition. He scored 617 even strength goals and ended up with 894.
2) Gordie Howe – He could beat you up or beat you with his skills. He was built to play hockey. He had 103 points in the NHL at the age of 40.
3) Mario Lemieux – One season he took 382 shots. He had 172 points in 107 playoff games.
4) Maurice “Rocket” Richard – He was the first player to have 50 goals in 50 games!
5) Mark Messier – Widely regarded as one of the greatest leaders in professional sports. He is ranked 2nd all-time in points behind Wayne Gretzky.
Check out the complete list here: